Wednesday 12 March 2014

Constructivist learning environments

Over the last 12 months, I've thought and read a lot about the Constructivist learning theory.  I feel this theory sits well with nursing education, undergraduate and post graduate. 

Prior to my lab session this week, where my job description is to 'instruct on practical skills,' I thought about how and if my lab aligns with this theory.  

To start with my job description doesn't.  In viewing myself as a facilitator to students learning, rather than a teacher, it's made it easier to create the environments to allow them to construct their own knowledge and lead their own experience.

In Lefoe article "Creating Constructivist Learning environments on the web: the challenge in higher education (1998)" the basic idea of the constructive learning environment is simply put that "at a minimum a learning environment contains; a learner and a setting or space wherein the learner acts, using tools and devices, collecting and interpreting information, interacting perhaps with others, etc."

So where am I in that?  Not up the front barking instructions and imparting knowledge.  My job is to set that environment to be engaging to allow the leaner to experience and build upon that.  And I'm more there as another resource and sounding board?

So now I'm putting more thought into what the students see when they enter the lab.  How I can place the tools they'll use in such a way that it invokes thought and conversation.  I did a little experiment.  I'm meant to teach and demonstrate priming intravenous infusions.  I had one set up and ready, and another next to in a packet not done.  I sent one group to that set up.  Gave them 10 minutes to look/touch/experiment with the set up and set the 2nd one up.  The other group I did the old fashion show and tell.    After that, I gave each group a new set and allowed them to set up and prime the new line. 

The group that had no instruction, but learnt by touching/experimenting with trial and error, where far more adapt at the skill.  They also appeared to enjoy themselves more and were steps ahead with having already previously made errors and learnt how to avoid them.

So note to self...less talk, more action.

No comments:

Post a Comment