Tuesday 25 March 2014


MODULE TWO TEACHING INTO PRACTICE REFLECTION

 
Before I commence my review of a Nursing Skills Unit outline, I do have to tip my hat to those that have done it.  On the background of all the reading and viewing that I’ve done for Module Two…curriculum mapping for constructive alignment (CA) is so complex!  But as academics, that’s our job.  And putting in all this hard work is so graduates can take excellent skills and knowledge out into the ‘real world’ and contribute with confidence and be workforce ready.


As I mentioned in my discussion board post, I can see the work that has gone into CA this unit within the course.  An introduction with how knowledge and skills previously gained will be developed upon within this unit and they will be able to take these into their next unit (practicum).  Showing where they have come from and where they are going is grounded in constructivist the theory. 

 
The Intended Learning Outcomes (ILO), are clear and have good use of high level verbs which lead to suggest deep situational approach learning is to be used.  One thing I would say about them though it…they are labelled UNIT LEARNING OUTCOMES.  I’d like to see them more reflective of who’s learning it is.  STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES or even INTENDED LEARNING OUTCOMES, gives the ownership of those outcomes to the learners. 


There is 4 ILO, and the 4th is related to how these skills/knowledge will be used in the next unit.  Therefore this is only measurable in the next unit.  I don’t believe this should be an ILO for this unit.  The introduction linking this unit to the next is enough.

 
The graduate & professional attributes are tabled and clear.  When the assessments are outlined, each displays how they are linked to the different ILO & graduate attributes.  I like that this shows the alignment of these three elements.  The only thing that concerns me is, it seems to put the focus on the assessment and how everything is linked to that.  On review of John Biggs’ CA, most articles and books have the focus on the ILO and then you look at how learning environments/tasks and assessments fit to that.  I would like to see the ILO tabled as they are, but with relationship to the graduate attributes and assessments on the side.  Showing the focus is on the learning.

 

 
Student learning outcome
Related to
Graduate
Attribute No
Related to
Assessment
 No
1
Apply knowledge to skills in the clinical setting using critical thinking and problem solving skills
1,2,4,6,9
1,2,3,4
2
Demonstrate the ability to calculate, prepare and safely administer medications to clients.  Evidence an understanding of side effects and contraindications of those medicines
2,3,4,5,&7
3,4


What I do like, and actually hadn’t noted before was that there is clear reference to Nursing’s governing body and how the unit aligns with this.    It gives students the knowledge that this course if professionally recognised and in line with national standards.

Having taught other units within the same semester, I can see how they have aligned, but what concerns me, particularly after reading Curtin university’s curriculum mapping framework is repetition.  Stated in the Curtin article, was that mapping was to prevent repetition of material in units and to avoid gaps.  I do believe some of the units come within the scope of repetition.  Reading some lectures, I’ve had to check which unit it is as I was going through, because the material was the same as I’d read in a different unit.  Cross over of material is at times required, it shows the practical application between theory based units with practical ones, but the information should be presented with the focus  within the units.  So students don’t feel their time is being wasted in repeat lectures.

 
So ultimately what do I think?  I think the hard work of curriculum mapping in line with CA is evident.  But there may be room for improvement.  I am aware that at the end of each semester, tutors and students are asked for feedback regarding the units.  Also feedback from clinical placements is taken on board. And I’m pleased to see how feedback has been used to change some structure in units.    This shows that external stakeholders are also used to increase the CA of not just this unit, but the  nursing course.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment